Friday, October 31, 2014

Friday Five: Thoughts on Pregnancy and Postpartum Running

Some of the best advice I received as a new parent was to not Google things I worried about. Instead, find some reputable sources and get my answers there. Call the pediatrician as often as necessary. Much of what we read on the internet are worst-case-scenario anecdotes, dramatized for effect, or even completely untrue. And everyone has an opinion about everything--especially when you become a mom. Anyone who has ever read a parenting article online is probably well aware of this.

I think the same logic applies to reading about running and pregnancy: everyone has an opinion, and everyone wants to share their experience. But each pregnancy is different, each woman is different--as a mom, as an athlete. The most important thing is to get your doctor's approval and guidance. Ask as many questions as you want, and then, within their recommendations, do what you are comfortable with.

Some of the articles I read made me wonder whether I could have run much harder during my pregnancy. And some articles and comments I read made me question running at all. Was I selfish to run? Was I lazy for cutting my mileage so much?

I had to take a step back and remind myself of two things:
1) My doctor fully supported my running. The only limit she set was to listen to my body and don't overdo it.
2) I know how to listen to my body. I know when I'm overdoing it.

Angst aside, I still love to read about running during pregnancy--personal experiences and research alike. Below are five six things I read recently and/or while I was pregnant. I don't necessarily agree with all of the advice in them, and my experience was obviously different from that of the elites represented here, but all are interesting reads.

1) Sarah Canney of Run Far Girl, guest post on Runblogger, on running during pregnancy.

2) How Pregnancy Changes a Runner's Body from the New York Times.

3) NYC Running Mama on "How soon is too soon?"

4) Liza Howard and Brandy Erholz at Liza's blog, Ultrarunning Mom.

5) Runner's World's Coach Jenny on "training for two instead of you."

6) The New York Times on pregnant marathoners.


No comments:

Post a Comment