Friday, July 4, 2014

Friday Five: Scripture for the What-Ifs

Running is full of the exhilarating unknown. Hanging over every race are questions of whether we trained enough, fueled correctly, rested adequately. And each time we step up to the starting line, we have the chance to outdo our expectations, to run a personal record, to place in our age group.

The unknowns of everyday life are somewhat harder for me to handle, and nothing has made me more aware of this than jumping into motherhood. If I let it, worry over all the things I can't know and can't control about my pregnancy and delivery will cripple me. And pregnancy worries are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the unknown, uncontrollable, and unexpected in parenting.

A Facebook friend linked to this blog post last week. It was just what I needed to read, a reminder of truth I know but all too often cast aside in fear.

And it reminded me God's word is overflowing with promises and reminders to combat every kind of fear and worry. Here are five of my favorite:

1. Philippians 4:6-7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
My absolute favorite; the words I repeat when I catch myself caught up in worry. Every time, I am astounded anew by the phrase "in every situation." That means even the small things, and to me, that means so much.

2. Philippians 4:19
And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.

3. Psalm 91
The entire Psalm describes the Lord's protection, but my favorite verses are 11 and 12: For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.

4. Jeremiah 29:11-12
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.

5. Matthew 6: 25-27
“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?

Share your favorite scriptures for dealing with worry in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment