Friday, May 9, 2014

Thirty Week Running Thoughts

At this point, it feels like every blog post I write, or think about writing, could be titled "Still Running...But for How Much Longer?"

Because I look like this right now.

I run three or four days a week, and many of my runs these days are fairly uncomfortable. It's become a balancing game: how much discomfort am I willing to tolerate during the run? How much will tolerating it render me useless for the rest of the day? And always, the nagging fear at the back of my mind: Does tolerating this discomfort pose a threat to the baby?

My doctor is still fine with me running. Her instructions have simply been to not over do it, and that I will know if I do. (Honestly, I'm not sure I'm capable of overdoing it anymore. I can't breathe well enough to even contemplate running fast, and the thought of running more than three miles at a time no longer appeals). And the discomfort I've been experiencing has been round ligament pain, which doesn't hurt the baby.

The support belt helps, and tight running tops provide a little extra support as well. Maintaining good form helps too; slouching, shuffling, and pounding on my heels each step only make it worse. Sometimes the baby is just in a position that makes the round ligament pain particularly sharp. Sometimes walking for a few minutes helps; sometimes I cut the run short and do yoga.

When I do have pain, most of the time it doesn't persist after the run, and if it does, I've found that a warm bath works wonders. Also, it's not the most awful kind of pain: round ligament pain (for me) feels like a combination of really sore abs and a very low side stitch.

Aqua jogging has become my new favorite thing, because I can do it without any pain. On Wednesday, an awesome friend joined me and I was able to go for an entire hour! Alone, it tends to get very boring. I aqua jog twice a week and will probably add a third day next week. If the pool wasn't so far away, I would go every day because being in the water feels that good.

I really, really miss long runs and fast runs and runs that feel smooth and easy, but I'm grateful to still be doing any sort of running right now. I have about two months to go, and I'm getting really excited to meet this baby, and to get back to regular running!

No comments:

Post a Comment