Saturday, March 15, 2014

Jackrabbit 7 Miler: Anticipation and Expectations

I had a different post in mind for today, but I am so excited about the Jackrabbit Trail Run tomorrow that it can wait.

About this time last year, I was running the Prickly Pear 50K in San Antonio. That was both my last trail race and my last really long race. I don't have any long races on the horizon, but I am so very excited to finally be racing on the trails again!

I hiked the course with a friend on Tuesday, so she could get a feel for the trail. I have both run (during the 2013 El Paso Puzzler) and hiked it before, but even though I knew what to expect, that hike made me look forward to tomorrow's race even more!

What I'm worried about, though, are my expectations. I have only run the rocky Franklin Mountain trails a handful of times while pregnant, and not in the last couple of months. I know I'm going to be slow, both because I have slowed down and because I will be exercising more caution and attention than usual, so I don't trip and fall. And there are several hills--another aspect of running I've neglected lately.

So here are my goals (and I have never made a set of race goals quite like this):
-Don't fall!
-Listen to my body
-Don't berate myself for walking the uphills
-Be satisfied no matter how long it takes me to finish.
-Be joyful throughout, and be grateful that I am still running, let alone trail running!

If I can manage all these things, I will consider the race a success. There will be time for racing later, time for focusing on my finishing time and my age group place. Now is the time to be in the moment simply enjoy running.

No comments:

Post a Comment