Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Race Report: Seguin Christian Academy Half Marathon

So, in my last post, I announced my pregnancy and said I was excited to blog about it. And then I didn't. I will, I promise, but first I have a race to blog about!

I ran the Seguin Christian Academy Half Marathon in Seguin, Texas Saturday, at 16 weeks pregnant. I'm not sure I would have had the courage to do this if one of my good friends hadn't inspired me by doing the same last year, a little further along than I am. And I'm so glad I did it!

What's even more exciting though, is that this was my mom's first half marathon, and the farthest she has ever run! She did great! I love seeing people accomplish running firsts and meet their goals.

Before the start

Starting line
At the starting line, we all sang the national anthem together--with no music! And then there was a prayer. This is something I've only seen at a few races, but I absolutely loved it and I wish it was more common! Talking to God before we run, combining two of the things I love most in life!

As you can probably guess if you have ever run while pregnant (or even if you haven't), I had to visit the restroom more than once during the race. Fortunately for me, the course passed a restroom four times!
My sister and dad both helped out with the race on their bikes--my dad led the way, and my sister rode around checking on people. She also took these pictures and rode next to me to chat for a while, which was so fun!

Go Mom!
The course wound through some of Seguin's most scenic places--by Central Park, next to the new Walnut Creek Park, along the Guadalupe River in Starcke Park, and up the hill next to the Juan Seguin Burial Site. Aid stations were located every two to three miles, with water and Gatorade.

Running through Seguin's Starcke Park
At the finish with my lovely photographer!
After I finished, there were snacks and lots of fun as we cheered for other finishers, including my mom! I am so proud of her accomplishment and can't wait to see what she does next!

The longest run I had done recently in preparation for the race was a ten miler a couple of weeks before, so I was worried about adding three more, and I didn't really know what to expect. It turns out I didn't need to worry. I walked a couple of times, including while going up the steepest hill in Seguin, but I didn't get too thirsty or too tired at any point. By the end, my back was a little sore, but overall I felt great! I took the next two days off and completed a slow three miles this morning. My muscles were a bit sore, but I think the run helped to alleviate that and tomorrow's run will be back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment