Friday, August 9, 2013

Introducing: The Friday Five


Let’s face it: I’m not the greatest at keeping up with this blog. There is a large pile of reasons for that, but I won’t go into them all now. Instead, I decided to add a couple of weekly features that will give me something to write about consistently. And in between, I’ll try to get back to regular posting!

The first of these features is The Friday Five. I love lists! How hard is making a list? So every Friday, look for a new list—running-related or not, they will always be fun!

Top Five Races on my “Running Bucket List”

1. Leadville 100: My husband and I got engaged on top of a mountain, Huron Peak, elevation 14,003 feet. It was awesome. (As he would say, "Go big or go home.") It was our first trip to Colorado together. Upon arriving at our campsite in the dark, we encountered an extremely friendly runner who had just spent the entire day running in preparation for the Leadville 100. On that trip, we also visited the city of Leadville, the highest city in the United States, which has a certain gritty charm.
Me, almost exactly four years ago.
Look at those mountains. I want to live here!
These encounters, along with everything I have since read about the race, in books like Born to Run and in race reports online, has only made me more eager to someday toe the starting line at Leadville.

2. Hardrock 100: I didn't know how much I loved southwestern Colorado's San Juan range until a camping trip with my friends took me there last summer. It's truly beautiful. The Hardrock course starts and finishes in Silverton, gaining and losing over 33,000 feet in elevation, and topping out at the 14,048 foot summit of Handies Peak. It sounds brutal.

3. Palo Duro Canyon Ultra: One of my favorite Texas State Parks, Palo Duro Canyon was a stop on many family camping trips growing up. I can't wait to run here again.

4. The Boston Marathon: Even though I've concluded I enjoy trail running more than road racing, I would race a road marathon again if it meant qualifying for Boston. I don't love huge, crowded races, but this is one I want to run once in my life.

5. Western States 100: For someone who has never run 100 miles, I feel like I have a lot of 100-milers in my top five. Aiming high, I guess! Western States is the world’s oldest 100-mile trail race, started in 1974 in California, and has a reputation for being one of the toughest.

What's on your running bucket list? Share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment